Off on holiday for a week!
Eco-living is the art of living your dreams while minimising your impact on the environment. Topics will include waste, energy, recycling, green building, transport, food, product reviews, book reviews and anything else to help readers live within ecological limits.
I've recently replaced the ink cartridges in my HP colour laser printer. If HP had their way, I would have changed them ages ago when the printer suddenly refused to print anything as one of the cartridges was 'low' in ink. After much swearing, I eventually found the override and, lo!, the ink cartridge went on for weeks before I saw a reduction in print quality. To give HP some credit, they do provide a recycling service for these great chunks of plastic with a freepost label inside the old container - they've now gone back from whence they came.
Labels: printer ink
The UK Government's new Carbon Calculator is now up and running. I threw in my stats and got a grand total of 3.82 tonnes - compared with a national average of 4.48t - pretty good but helped by the fact that I haven't flown in over a year.
I've been waiting for DEFRA to launch their new carbon calculator, but it hasn't emerged yet - I should be able to write about it Friday. The big question is why do it when there are plenty of others around - check this one. The word is that the DEFRA model only covers half the carbon footprint of the average Brit anyway.
It's not often you'll catch me watching the British TV channel Five, but comedian Paul Merton's travelogue on the more intriguing aspects of the huge country that is China was a real treat. The last episode on Shanghai was more traditional (no robot rickshaws or eating dog), but one sentence, uttered by a local millionaire during a game of golf stunned me. He said:
The UK's Grauniad is reporting today that low cost flight pioneer, EasyJet, is developing a new 'ecoJet' which it claims will have 50% less emissions per km than current 'planes. As I've said before, it would be great if a technofix could be found for flying as this appears to be the most intractable part of our carbon footprint. Click on the link to see the bizarre new style of engines which use just 75% of the fuel of conventional jets - the other 25% reduction will be from a lighter airframe and different operating conditions.
The only thing I don't like about my solar hot water system is there is no remote readout of the temperature of the water in the tank. We don't have a proper loft ladder, so going up to check the temperature is a real faff - until this weekend when I taped a webcam with a 5m USB extension lead to the LED. Now I can read it on my laptop from the top of the stairs.
Labels: solar hot water
Labels: green business blog
The G8 yesterday agreed to start discussing a replacement for the Kyoto agreement which runs out in 2009 (although cynics would say it ran out of steam ages ago...). German Chacellor Angela Merkel's proposal for a 50% cut by 2050 has been down graded to an item which George Bush will 'seriously consider'.
Continuing the idea that the Polar Bear is now the symbol of global warming, this ice sculpture was created in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne yesterday as part of UN World Environment Day. Other exhibits included a dry stone wall, a climate change garden, a Honda Civic hybrid car, the Climate Dome, various renewables technologies and lots of more traditional stalls. A good show all round and it attracted a lot of interest from passers by. With the Green Festival in the city this weekend, there's a lot going on just at the moment.
OK, I'm a bit of a lazy gardener, but I have spent a disproportionate amount of timefighting my pseudo-footed nemeses, the gastropods that munch through my herbaceous perennials every year. Obviously the pernicious little blue pellets are out. We've tried all the barrier methods - egg shells, vaseline and WD40 (the last two on pots), which seem to deter the beggars until they find some inventive (and surprisingly acrobatic) way through.
Massive amount of eco-living related stuff in the press today: