Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday Morning Rant

Do you know what really gets my goat?

Apart from all the other stuff?

Smart-arsed, intelligentsia types moaning about maybe just having to change their lightbulbs to help the world stave off global catastrophe as if we're asking them to sacrifice their first born children. Euan Ferguson in yesterday's Observer wrote half a page patronising those who recycle before 'drawing the line' at efficient light bulbs as being dim, low wattage and 'yellow'.

What a Div. If he'd ever used a CFL, he'd know that they're just as bright (the low wattage comes from the efficiency bit Wuan) and, if anything, too white.

But, this is obviously such a compromise to his louche, wild-living-at-the-edge libertarian literary lifestyle, he just won't stand for it. Get a grip. You're a columnist for a Sunday supplement, mate, not Jack fricking Kerouac.

I could go on, but it's recycling day and I need to go and put my box out.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I have big problems with CFLs too. I'm aware that if you're not sensitive to the colour / flickering then we just seem like a bunch of whiners.

Anyway, dh is on the case and he has been making me some LED strips to go in the kitchen. It's an amazing experiment and he's doing so well.

Why not go out and buy ready made LEDs you ask? Well, for starters they are still very expensive and secondly, they are still too low wattage - too low for lighting an entire room.

Our aim is to be able to run these LED strips from an old car battery powered by a small solar panel.

How exciting is that?!

I'm still using the CFLs until then, but I don't really like them and I am worried about the long term effects of them on the environment. When, in ten years time we're all trying to 'safely dispose' of them (and the majority of people, perhaps won't), just how much mercury are we going to release into the atmosphere / groundwater?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home