Monday, November 12, 2007

Food Carbon Footprint

I've discussed the environmental impact of food before - some people say it is responsible for up a third of our carbon emissions. Yesterday's Observer has some figures for just how much carbon different meals can produce on their way to your plate:

Carbon Heavy: meat, veg & wine from the southern hemisphere: 10 000g per serving

Carbon Average: organic european meat, veg & wine: 3 000g per serving

Carbon Lean: local vegan organic food, organic local beer: 200g per serving

I think that speaks for itself!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you have a link to this article? I can't seem to find it on the website.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Gareth Kane said...

Me neither (or I would have put the link in). The Observer seems to be the Cinderella of Guardian Unlimited.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're interested in the topic, I've just done a carbon analysis of wine. I'm surprised to see it lumped in the same category as the meats from down under. Livestock animals create a lot of methane. Container shipping is quite a carbon efficient form of transport.

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a university student at Teesside and I am currently in my third year of design marketing. My final year brief is about food carbon footprint using design to make the british consumer more aware. I am very interested to talk to you, if you have anytime at all, my email: olivia.monaghan@ntlworld.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home