Friday, July 20, 2007

What's the beef?

I love meat. There, I've said it. Most people expect me to be vegetarian on ethical grounds, but, while I do have serious reservations about the mainstream meat industry in this country, I have no problem with turning a cow into a whole range of prime cuts (or mashing up what's left for sausages either).

But I do know that meat has a massive carbon footprint/ecological footprint/biodiversity impact. The Guardian is today quoting research that producing 1kg of beef results in more CO2 emissions than going for a three-hour drive while leaving all the lights on at home. Blimey.

Note that, despite this massive environmental impact, food is not included in the UK Government's "definitive" carbon calculator. So that's a huge lifestyle choice left out of the reckoning.

Whether Whitehall gives me credit for it or not, I think I'd better get that vegetarian cookbook out again...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home