Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Food Carbon Footprint Calculator

I've posted plenty of times about the fact that food is one of the biggest contributors to our carbon footprint (20-33% depending on who you ask). Unfortunately most 'carbon calculators', including the UK Government's, do not count food.

Fear not, because someone, and it's not clear who, has developed a Food Carbon Footprint Calculator. Warning: it's very thorough and you might want to collect some info over a week first.

My food footprint was 1.375tonnes CO2 per year compared to an average of 2tonnes - mainly 'cos I shop local and organic were poss. Veggies and vegans will obviously fare better.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Huh. It didn't have an option for 'I bake my own bread', 'my apples don't have any packaging at all' or 'I re-use my plastic milk bottles as cloches in the garden'!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree with hamster - not a lot of options in the questions, even for the less inventive of us (I just recycle my plastic milk bottles!)
I think this type of calculation is useful to prompt people to think about they're food buying habits, and to point out which changes can make the most difference. However, it's risky to suggest that CO2 emissions are the only damaging effect of agri-industrial food systems. More at Local Foods Research Project

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Robert said...

Hi,

Would you endorse this carbon calculator for food?

http://www.kedco.com/option,com_carbon/

Probably not as thorough but easy to use all the same.

Rob

 

Post a Comment

<< Home