Friday, September 11, 2009

OK, now what?

So I've signed up to 10:10. How am I going to cut my carbon footprint by 10%?

Low hanging fruit? I work from home, drive infrequently, cycle, walk and take the train all over, I've insulated the loft, put in triple glazing, installed a solar panel and a wood burning stove, mainly buy second hand books, I switch things off, I'm on a green electricity tariff, I don't window shop, I try to buy local and organic, I recycle as much as I can and compost what I can, I wear my clothes until they wear out, I holiday in the UK and take at most one short flight to N. Ireland every year. So, what am I going to do?

Well first off, I'm going to finish measuring my carbon footprint using the Carbon Detox method - a project abandoned three quarters of the way through. At that point my calculated footprint was 18% lower than the UK average and I was assuming my general shopping was average, which it isn't, so I need to some more research and analysis.

But I guess the only chance I have of making a real difference will be food. More veggie, less meat and dairy (the latter being a tip I hadn't thought of before reading the 10:10 website). More food coming from the allotment, which means I have to do some planting as well as my usual role of occasional maintenance, watering and harvesting.

What are you going to do?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home