Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Booker hoist by his own petard

The Telegraph's pet rabid climate change denier Christopher Booker has dropped a big one. He produced a column about Lord Stern entitled:

Lord Stern, 'Scaremonger in chief', exposed by simple blunders
How come "the world's leading expert on climate change" doesn't even know how much carbon dioxide there currently is in the air, wonders Christopher Booker.

But, later had to admit it was him who was blundering in the comments:

I must apologise for the confusion over CO2 which has been picked up by several irate commenters below. I was relying on an article in last Tusday's Daily Telegraph which quoted Lord Stern as saying that 'carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere are already at 430 parts per million'. Having now checked with Lord Stern's book, I see that he was indeed referring to 'CO2 equivalent'. not CO2 (citing a source dated 2005). I am sorry about this misunderstanding (the moral of which is perhaps that one shouldn't necessarily believe anything one reads in a newspaper!) I would also point out, however, that my column above does make quite a number of other points about Lord Stern, and perhaps his defenders should now turn to answering these instead.
I have a number of words for Mr Booker, none of which I can type here. But I'm really annoyed that the Telegraph hasn't pulled the column, or even put a correction in the text. I've e-mailled them and suggest you do the same.

+++ Update 30/4/09 +++

A victory of sorts - the column now reads...

Error 404
Sorry, the page you have requested is not available
Please try again later


Can't find any apology yet, though...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home