Monday, December 01, 2008

My sustainable watch... and the joy of fixing stuff


...OK, so you're not going to save the planet just by choosing the right watch, but the Mondaine Ecomatic has impressive green stats - a 100% recycled brass case and it takes its energy from the movement of your wrist (about 50% of life time energy). Plus, I got it second hand and have just repaired the strap. And it's a design classic.

On the second hand and repairing front, the Guardian reported this week that repair companies and charity shops are seeing a mini boom as people try to cut costs in the credit crunch. I find that getting stuff fixed is much more satisfying psychologically than throwing it away and starting again - recession or no recession. I was devastated when I couldn't fix my old bike, but was dead chuffed with how pleased Recyke y'Bike were to get the bits to build new bikes. Last week I also got a pair of trousers - which I'd bought in haste only to find they were too long - taken up for just £8. Result!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can u tell us where to buy that kind of watch?

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Gareth Kane said...

Oh, I wish there was a simple answer!

For some reason you can only buy new Mondaines with either recycled case or eco-matic winding, but not both.

So I went on eBay and bought one off a Swiss guy. Now my German is great, but I should have known what Damenuhr meant - I'd bought a ladies watch. Then by coincidence, I told this story to a friend whose father had died 6 months before and he had this watch, so we did a swap... all's well that ends well...

 
At 9:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in Philly the cobblers have a seen a dramatic rise in the number of being getting shoes resoled. I've always done this but now more people are getting on the bandwagon. I stopped wearing a watch since I usually have my cell phone on me anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home