Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Back in the saddle


I'm enjoying holidaying in the UK so much at the minute that I'm not missing flying around the world at all.

Last week I took the famous West Highland train from Glasgow to Mallaig, stopping off for a couple of nights at Arisaig. On my full day in the latter, I took a boat trip to the island of Eigg (which has gone zero-carbon - more in later posts when I get my photos back), did some walking and saw seals, dolphins and two whales en route. When I got to Mallaig it was a short ferry to Skye where I did more walking, another boat trip, and bagged a Munro to boot. Back on the mainland I took the equally stunning train from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness and then down through the Cairngorms to Edinburgh and home.

All using public transport or on foot, with stunning scenery, wildlife, great food and excellent service in the B&Bs I stayed in. Travelling by train and bus gave me much better views than a car would have done and the whole journey was part of the holiday - no airport-stuffy 'plane-airport-transfer nightmare. Of course being the West Coast of Scotland there was always the risk that it would have poured down for the the week...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home