Thursday, October 12, 2006

Review: Sam Smith's Organic Ale & Lager

As I'm trying to wean myself off my addiction to New World wines (goodbye Stellenbosch, farewell Napa Valley) I thought I'd try these two beers brewed not too far away in Tadcaster, Yorkshire. The lager is quite ale-y, with plenty of body compared to a mainstream continental lager, but still with enough crispness to enjoy in this Indian Summer. The ale is less distinctive, but smooth and enjoyable. I would recommend both and it is great that they are organic and (relatively) local.

If anyone wants to send me any other beverages to review, I will be more than willing to give them a shot. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it.

2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is also a question of whether or not we want to support the globalisation of the food industry. As far as I understand the main reason a lot of organic produce comes from overseas is that in many countries agriculture uses fewer pesticides etc not for eco-green reasons but for economic reasons ...if (and it's a big if!)we could solve the transport problem is it not good to support farming communities in countries which are less well-off than our own?

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Gareth Kane said...

A big mother of an 'if' if there ever was one...

It's a big conundrum - if we penalise food miles, are we being protectionist?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home